Friday, November 30, 2012

Marine disagrees with Navy and EPA who reported El Toro’s ‘historical wells’ not contaminated.   
(IRVINE, CA) –  I don’t believe in ghosts. If I ran into one, maybe I’d change my mind. The stories of lights on in the El Toro control tower after the power was cut off decades ago may be just be the product of someone’s wild imagination.  At night, the former base takes on the appearance of a ghost town.  With the power to buildings cut off and hundreds of dilapidated buildings still standing, moonlight can play tricks on your mind.  Shadows move or seem to move and it doesn’t take too long before normally rational people see things that are not there.  The one thing I know for sure is that the risk of exposure to ingestion of toxic chemicals from the base wells was real; too real for those on  the base who drank, showered, and cleaned with the well water.
Trichloroethylene (TCE) has an excellent reputation as a degreaser.  TCE is a human carcinogen and a non-carcinogenic health hazard. Exposure to TCE can occur through ingestion (contaminated water), inhalation (hot showers, vapor intrusion in buildings), and dermal contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment