Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Panama Orange
The Dallas Morning News recently reported that the U.S. military conducted secret tests of Agent Orange and other toxic herbicides in Panama in the 1960s and '70s, potentially exposing civilians and soldiers to highly dangerous chemicals. According to eyewitness accounts and documents, hundreds of barrels of Agent Orange were shipped to Panama during the Vietnam War to be tested in simulated tropical battlefield conditions of Southeast Asia. The chemical was a mixture of the herbicides 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T and also contained dioxin generated during formulation of 2,4,5-T. While the two herbicides break down in the environment rather quickly, dioxin is a highly persistent compound that remains in the environment for decades and can cause cancer, birth defects and other health and developmental problems.

The U.S. Southern Command, the operational authority in Panama, said it was not aware of any tests using Agent Orange that had taken place there. However, the U.S. Veterans Affairs Department acknowledged that use of Agent Orange or similar herbicides contributed to the deaths of at least three U.S. servicemen stationed in Panama in the 1960s and '70s. In testimony at a Veterans Affairs hearing regarding one of these cases, a former operations officer for herbicide research at the Army biological research and development laboratories in Maryland stated that "several hundred drums" of Agent Orange were shipped to Panama in the late 1960s.



  1. my husband serve in nam. 40 years later has stomache cancer.(Brinton) Asian type . No treatment can help, it is resistant to chemo. Wonder if their has been any others have had this type.? and wonder if it's on the list.
    any help or info would be appreciated.
    Mary ann Haysley

  2. my name is Samuel jones I serve in Panama from 1973-1975 in the army now I have prostate cancer and diabetes and now pancreatitis plus severe back pain I watch herbicides being sprayed all the time now I know is was agent orange. The VA have not given me one dime I need Your help. I live 1007 bromey estates pine hill nj 08021 my cell is 856-979-4861 if anybody can help me please call

  3. I served in Panama from 1971-1973. Fort Claytonj and Quarry Heights. I don't know what they used but some type of chemical was used in many areas around my duty station to kill the jungle. That was in addition to the regular spraying for mosquitos, termites and cutter ants. I also owned an enduro motorcycle which gave me access to the many jungle trails and roads around the canal zone. It was not uncommon to find areas where nothing was growing. I'm now a type 2 diabetic and there is no history of that in my family.

  4. My name is Kevin Jackson i also served in Panama at Fort Clayton A/co 4th/20 in 1972 to 1974 i also wittness the spaying of chemical for mosquitos, termites and cutter ants. But the jungel where nothing was growing were strange because at times it seamed like a trail of dead jungel. my M.O.S WAS 11C 81 MM Motor we stayed in the jungel and the spaying continued and the dead jungel was all around . Iam 60 years old now and in 2014 i was told by the VA that i had Prostate cancer in 2015 my prostate was removed and now i have cancer of the blader there is no history of that in my family. We need to all work on getting Panama on the list because they did this to us

  5. My name is Kevin Jackson. I also was stationed at Fort Clayton, Panama from 1972 to 1974. I also witnesses the regular spraying for mosquitos, termites and cutter ants. I also witnessed the "dead jungle" which I found was very strange. My MOS was 11c10 81MM Motar Firer. We stayed in the jungle. The spraying of herbicides/pesticidescontinued and the witnessing of the dead jungle was a regular. In 2014 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. It was diagnosed as aggressive with the highest level possible. In 2015 I had a radical prostectomy; my prostate was removed and the surrounding lymph nodes to the extent possible through surgery. I still have prostate cancer that now has spread to the bladder and I am being treated for that at present. There is no history on my mothers or fathers side of cancer. I feel that we were subject to agent orange and other unknown chemicals. We need to work diligently together to get Panama on the accepted list of Agent Orange locations.