Friday, July 30, 2010

Just Add Water! Senator Webb Replies

What follows is the reply from Senator Webb to a veteran regarding the Senator's stall tactics re: the additional 3 presumptive diseases.

Has the Senator forgotten his Veteran and Marine Corps roots?

Dear Mr. __________

Thank you for contacting my office regarding veterans affected by Agent Orange. I appreciate your taking the time to share your views.

Our nation has a special obligation to provide health care to our service members and veterans, particularly those with an injury or illness resulting from their service. I have spent my entire adult life advocating on behalf of veterans and will continue to fight for the best interests of the men and women who serve our nation in uniform. Furthermore, from 1977 to 1981 I had the honor of serving as a full committee counsel on the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs, and spent a great deal of time working on this specific issue.

On March 25, 2010, the Secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced his intention to add B-cell Leukemia, Parkinson's disease, and coronary artery disease to the list of presumptive conditions associated with exposure to Agent Orange. This decision was taken without full consultation with the Congress. Consequently, during consideration of the bill to provide funding for this determination, I introduced an amendment clarifying that under existing law the VA is required to provide a 60-day congressional review period prior to spending funds under the proposed new regulation. I am a staunch defender of Congress's constitutional oversight responsibility. To that end, I have requested that the VA provide the scientific data used by the Secretary to make his determination. He is now scheduled to do so in a hearing that will be held in September.

As a Vietnam combat veteran, former full committee counsel to the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs, and as a current member of the Senate Committees on Armed Services and Veterans' Affairs, I take a back seat to no one in my concern for our veterans. Your views on veterans affected by Agent Orange are very helpful to me and my staff, and I hope that you will continue to share your views with us in the years ahead. I would also invite you to visit my website at http://www.webb.senate.gov/ for regular updates about my activities and positions on matters that are important to Virginia and our nation.

Thank you once again for contacting my office.

Sincerely,

Jim Webb
United States Senator
JW: pd

5 comments:

  1. Yes Senator Webb, you are a combat veteran...one who may have forgotten the pain and suffering upon returning home. Secretary Shinseke is also a combat vet(2 tours ) and yet he seems to be more politician than Veteran. This sounds more like a 'pissing contest' than anything else.-"WHAT...you had the nerve to do something without checking with me first"???? So you will show them that they can't enact policy without first checking with you. Even if you agree with the need for the policy...because they didn't check-in...you feel it is alright to make thousands of veterans wait for their just-do because you felt by-pasted??????? I had been told that you were a good man, however, I am going to have to hold my opinion for a while. Come-on senator...I'm sure there was no intentional affront to you. I hope your stall doesn't cost the life of one of our comrades. I pray that you will have a change of heart and help push this legislation through. Yours in Comradeship, Steven D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Senator Webb's website and searched "agent Orange" and "presumptive". Neither brought up anything. Draw your own conclusions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vets you need to understand webb does not care about you. All this crap about helping Vets is BS.The only person webb helps is himself. Ask how much money the government sends to his wifes homeland. Why don't you stop using the combat veteran thing as a crutch? Would like to talk with the Marines that served with you. I received medals too but after you they don't have much meaning. Anyone can get them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Basically what webb is saying you should have had my permission to make this decision. His little boy attitude is obvious. My hope is the voters in his home state tell him to take his toys and go home,would be best for every one. Time to tell the military and webb our children will not fight any more of your useless wars. If you can't support us then don't call us do it yourself..

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one thing that these Congressmen thrive on is At a Boys. They are power hungry, selfish, egotistical, money grabbers. Hit them in the pocket book and find any dirt you can about them and get it published to the WWW, newspapers, talk shows, in the schools and on TV. Do not support the re election of any members of either party for veterans committees. They serve their own interests and over 90 percent of these reps are useless as teats on a male pig.

    ReplyDelete