Thursday, August 7, 2014

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...



but not their own facts!
Phony claims at heart of VA problems


To the editor:

The problems with the Veterans Administration benefits are due in large part to phony disability claims. It was announced that the VA approved thousands of claims without validation simply to reduce the backlog. I am referring only to PTSD and Agent Orange claims, not all claims.

Every claimant knows if he or she suffers or is disabled. I have not met one person getting disability checks from taxpayers who shows any signs of disability due to PTSD or Agent Orange.

As for PTSD, if people in the military can cope with combat situation, memories should not be a problem. Every time I hear a helicopter, very bad life and death memories return. Do I suffer from PTSD? Of course not. Am I disabled? Of course not. Do I deserve disability payments from the taxpayers? Of course not. Should I claim disability when I am not disabled? Of course not.

As for Agent Orange, more phony claims. There is no proof Agent Orange is the cause of any medical problem. If anyone thinks they have proof to the contrary, I would like to hear it. Not supposition, probability or maybe. Only proof. I served five years in Vietnam with special forces between 1962 and 1972 (easily verified, of course). Since I’ve had seven cancer surgeries and over one dozen basal cell cancer spots removed from my skin, do I deserve disability payments? Of course not. There is no proof it was caused by Agent Orange.

Just because the VA is loose with taxpayers’ money, doesn’t justify filing phony claims. I can look in the mirror and see a person who would not do that. Can you? How much disability payment does it take to erase only bad memories?

I am extremely pleased and proud to say I am not disabled and sure not phony. I could be paid a million dollars a day, and still have “bad” memories.

Marcus L. Huston
Beardstown
 

No comments:

Post a Comment