Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Understanding my own connection to Vietnam














Photo-Le Quang Nhat
Yumi Wilson and Goro Nakamura in Vietnam

As for me, all I know is that I know nothing. -- Socrates

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/wilson/detail?entry_id=69933
Before my trip to Vietnam, where my mission had been to investigate the link between Agent Orange and third-generation birth defects and disabilities, I read lots of books and articles. Watched tons of movies and documentaries. And interviewed as many people as I could. I even tried to learn some Vietnamese.

But in the end, I learned that the that one of the most important things I could have done was to know a little bit more about Japan.

At a well-attended ceremony outside the War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City, I spotted Goro Nakamura. I had been told by local photographer Le Quang Nhat that Nakamura, a photographer and author, was being honored on Agent Orange Day (Aug. 10) for his work in Vietnam, and that I, as a daughter of a Japanese woman who survived WWII, should talk to him.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/wilson/detail?entry_id=69933#ixzz0xY8Ag3dO

No comments:

Post a Comment